Thursday, October 4, 2018

How to Stop Obsessing In Recovery

Many in recovery obsess about drinking or picking up drugs. At some point the obsession can and does die down. For some the obsession seems to drag on, while with others it may leave sooner. Not only can we obsess about about our drug of choice, we also may obsess about a myriad of other things. Will my boyfriend find someone new while I am in rehab? Will I ever be able to get another job? What if I can’t live on my own? The obsession depends upon the individual and his or her experiences.

When you find yourself obsessing about alcohol, your drinking days or whatever, make a conscious effort to bring your attention away from the obsession. Ask yourself what good am I doing myself by obsessing about this. Is my obsessing elevating my stress level? Is there really anything I can do to affect the outcome of my obsession? Whatever your answers are, the most important one to ask is what can I do to stop obsessing.

By asking yourself these simple questions, you’ve already taken a step towards altering your obsessive reminiscing behavior. Another step you can take is to redirect your thoughts to something normal and positive. What am I going to make for dinner? What theater is playing the award-winning movie I want see. I only have three weeks to go before I can take my summer vacation! I’ve got to call my kids and make plans to see them.  

You can help shift your energy off an obsession through movement. If you’re at work, take a break and go for a quick walk outside, or run up and down a couple of flights of stairs. Change your environment in some way as to shift your focus. Get in touch with the fact that obsessing over drinking is ruining your day. It’s you who are ruining your day. You. No one else. You may be powerless over alcohol and drugs, but you are not powerless over your mind.

Ask yourself if fear of the unknown is causing your obsession. The unknown is another thing you have no control over. Visualize the worst possible scenario you can imagine happening as a result your obsession. Now ask yourself the likelihood of it really coming to fruition. What would you do then? What would you do next? By redirecting the obsession you can gain back your power. You have to stop giving power to the unknown, to fear, to alcohol and drugs—they are losers, and you are a winner.

Serenity Oaks Wellness Center is a 5-week extensive treatment program to help someone who is struggling from drugs or alcohol. Our 12-Step aspects and holistic therapy combined can show you how to adorn your soul in recovery.

Call us today:

844-720-6847

from
https://www.serenityoakswellness.com/blog/how-to-stop-obsessing-in-recovery/

From https://serenityoakswellnesscenter.blogspot.com/2018/10/how-to-stop-obsessing-in-recovery.html



from
https://serenityoakswellnesscenter.wordpress.com/2018/10/04/how-to-stop-obsessing-in-recovery/

from https://alcoholrehabcenters2.blogspot.com/2018/10/how-to-stop-obsessing-in-recovery.html

from
https://alcoholcenters2.tumblr.com/post/178728566031

No comments:

Post a Comment